A Phoenix woman is facing jail time after trying to help a cat
. ILeen Kay Barner has been in a dispute with a neighbor in the 2100 block of west Union Hills Drive, and had been served with a court order to stay away from the neighbor's property. But when a sick cat darted into her neighbor's yard, Barner says she tried to catch it. Barner says she was just trying to help a sick animal, but neighbors and police say she put a can of cat food on her neighbor's porch...Mesa police have discovered a possible drop-house for illegal immigrants at a vacant home
. Police went to a house on South Frasier Drive after receiving a tip from a neighbor, and found several men in a truck parked outside and "suspicious activity" inside the house. Several of the suspects fled, but 12 were caught by police and turned over to Immigration Customs Enforcement...
The case of a Phoenix man charged with raping a woman and showing it on the Internet has been delayed, after a judge ruled prosecutors violated the due-process rights of the accused, Johnathan Hock
|Gilbert Police Department|
|The funeral for Lt. Eric Shuhandler is scheduled for Wednesday.|
. The judge's ruling effectively dismisses the charges of sexual assault, voyeurism, and surreptitious recording against Hock. Prosecutors must now seek a new indictment...The funeral for fallen Gilbert police Lieutenant Eric Shuhandler, who was fatally shot during a car chase last week, is scheduled for Wednesday at Westworld in Scottsdale
. Well-wishers are asked to send monetary donations to the Wells Fargo account in Shuhandler's name instead of flowers...Mesa officials are spending $25,000 to conduct a study that will determine if an old U.S. Post Office building could become the third museum in downtown Mesa
. The federal government gave the building to Mesa in 2002, when the city promised to use it as a public amenity. The building would probably house a new Mesa Historical Museum...Suspicious smoke led to an evacuation of a Fry's grocery store in Phoenix yesterday
. Fire department crews were called to the store near 7th street and Bell Road about 1:30 p.m., where they determined a leak in a compressor in the meat department was causing smoke. The store was evacuated as a precaution, but no injuries were reported and the store has since reopened.