Five Things to Know Before Heading to Mexico for Spring Break

Categories: Outdoors
springbreak.jpg
Another Spring Break, another round of warnings from the State Department, your mom, and your agoraphobic friends: Don't go to Mexico.

Lo que sea. You're going anyway (blame our flowchart). And that's awesome.

Whether this is your first time to Rocky Point or you remember what it was like to camp on Sandy Beach, here's our best Mexico travel advice based on our trips there last year:

5. Take a passport. But don't stress if you lose it. They'll still let you back into the United States at the border as long as you can prove you're a citizen or legal resident. 

4. Don't try to take drugs or guns into Mexico. U.S. authorities often search cars going into Mexico, and not just out of it. Once south of the border, possession of even a single bullet could mean prison time under Mexican law. 

3. For the drive between the border and Rocky Point, consider grouping several vehicles into a caravan for safety. Dial "066" in Mexico for emergencies instead of 911. 

2. Watch carefully for stop signs and other traffic alerts in Rocky Point -- they're especially hard to see at night. If stopped by police, don't be surprised if the cop asks you to follow him to the police station to pay the fine -- that's what they're supposed to do. 

1. Violent crimes are relatively rare in Rocky Point -- but drunk driving by tourists is common. Be cautious on the roads and remember that you're far more likely to get hurt on one of the many rented ATVs than by a cartel hit man.

If you want to know everything we know, read our story about tourism in Rocky Point from last spring, which can be found here.

Follow Jackalope Ranch on Facebook and Twitter and Pinterest.



My Voice Nation Help
15 comments
guest
guest

I don't care about mexico or what happens to anybody who goes there for spring break, it's just that the comments section of the phoenix new times has become quite unruly lately. I hope that ray stern's stories continue to fly under the radar and the hells angels, skinheads, food truck haters, gangster rappers and assorted other miscreants continue to leave him alone.

Wikiwiki
Wikiwiki

What about clean cut short haired spoiled white  yuppies? you didnt mentioned those selfish pompous losers. dont you hate them to?

guest
guest

ray stern is a clean cut white guy with short hair, but I thinks it's from male pattern baldness, rather than a style that he's trying to affect.

Clogtheblog
Clogtheblog

 Those types are known trouble makers and criminals if you notice most criminals mugshots on new times. they use that clean cut look to fool everybody into thinking they are law abiding citizens when in reality they are child molesters , meth tweekers ,thieves and mother and father baby rapers.

Zitiandsause
Zitiandsause

Sounds like he looks like sheriff Paul Baboo

Zitiandsause
Zitiandsause

I agree the yuppies are 90% of the assholes on here.  the rest of the miscreant 10% aren't even a threat at all.

AMY SILVERMAN
AMY SILVERMAN

 If his story's fly under the radar who will see them and read them? this makes no sense if your a writer. he might as well quit his job for gods sake!

WilmerLadmo
WilmerLadmo

 *Stories (fly under the radar)
*You're (a writer)

Clogtheblog
Clogtheblog

 I love food trucks where Skinheads work  with a smile and Hells Angels own them and rappers and late night gangsters eat at them. the night life gangster life is the best life.

CHUCK ZITO
CHUCK ZITO

Whats wrong with being a Hells Angel? im an HA and I did nothing wrong to you. do I look like a known trouble maker to you? check me out at www.chuckzito.com

Corn turd cretin
Corn turd cretin

 Who is ray stern and why would any one mess with this unknown nobody? I never heard of him.

Unruley
Unruley

 Unruly is cool man. why so uptight brother guest?

Social Distortion
Social Distortion

 Those Bastards Fuck it all up for the rest of us new times groupies who never say a cross word about anybody. we are all saints and we are perfect goody goody's and they are the evil no good people. we should kill them all for messing up a good thing like this.

Now Trending

From the Vault

 

Phoenix Event Tickets
Loading...