Scorpius Dance Theatre Hosts Dance Class Marathon This Weekend
On Saturday, March 3, the local contemporary dance company is hosting Dance Marathon 3, a day-long series of classes open to dancers at a variety of levels. Proceeds will go toward bringing the company's A Vampire Tale to Count Dracula's hometown of Whitby, England for the 2012 Bram Stoker International Film Festival.
|Photo courtesy of Lisa Starry|
Hour-long classes (in a variety of skill levels) include ballet, modern, salsa/cha cha, contemporary jazz, burlesque, and hip hop -- all taught by Scorpius dancers from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m..
The schedule includes:
- 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., ballet with Gavin Sisson (intermediate/advanced)
- 12:45 to 1:45 p.m., modern technique with Elisa Reed (intermediate/advanced)
- 2 to 3 p.m., Scorpius repertory with Nicole Olson (intermediate/advanced)
- 3:15 to 4:15 p.m., salsa/cha cha with Bridgette Caron (intermediate/advanced)
- 4:30 to 5:30 p.m., contemporary jazz with Jaylene Verhaagen (intermediate/advanced)
- 5:45 to 6:45 p.m., burlesque with Jose Soto (all levels - adults only)
- 7 to 8 p.m., hip hop with Rufus Rodriquez (intermediate/advanced)
This season will mark 13 years for Scorpius founder Lisa Starry's annual fall production of "A Vampire Tale." Her choreography has also been commissioned by Phoenix Metropolitan Opera, Nearly Naked Theatre, and Teatro Bravo.
This Saturday's classes are $10 each ($15 for single ballet class), $25 for three, or $50 for all seven, and will be held at Metropolitan Arts Institute, 1700 N. 7th Ave., To register, email Starry by March 2 at email@example.com.
More information and class descriptions can be found on Scorpius Dance Theatre's website.
Follow Jackalope Ranch on Facebook and Twitter and Pinterest.