Pioneer Veterans Memorial Cemetery
|A headstone chronciles the wars that left veterans buried at Pioneer Veterans Memorial Cemetery.|
The cemetery is one of the oldest in the state, with graves that date back to the mid-1800s. The 11-acre cemetery grounds are the final resting place of several Arizona notables, including civil engineer Thomas A. Hayden, "The Lost Dutchman" Jacob Waltz, and several McClintocks -- the namesake family of the major Phoenix street.
John Tabor Alsap, who was the first probate judge in Phoenix when it became the seat of Maricopa County, is buried here. Pioneer Veterans Memorial Cemetery also houses the plot of cowboy and steer roping champion Wayne Davis, who served as deputy sheriff of Maricopa County under Carl Hayden (and later as an Arizona Ranger) before he died in 1914.
|The Smurthwaite House shares the cemetery grounds.|
The historic Smurthwaite House, built in 1897, is also on the Pioneer Veterans Memorial Cemetery grounds. The surrounding neighborhood is equally interesting, because in addition to the historic buildings and family-owned Old Station Sub Shop, there's an overflowing homeless shelter right around the corner.