Last year we marked the hundred day countdown to Best of Phoenix by sharing some of our favorite food folks' "Personal Best" lists. This year we're bringing back our list of 100 Favorite Dishes. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email email@example.com.
|This might not be your go-to taco filling, but it definitely should be.|
55. Nopales and Longaniza Taco from El Tlacoyo
See also: 10 Best Places to Eat and Drink Cactus in Metro Phoenix
You might be an al pastor junkie or a carne asada devotee, and that's totally okay. Probably the best part about street tacos is the small size and equally small price tag (at most places) allows you to try as many as you can stomach, and El Tlacoyo has tons of variety on their taco line-up.
Heading into the small restaurant on the Mesa-Tempe border, you won't be wowed by ambiance. You might even be a little put off, but this really is the place for tacos in town. From tender suadero to flavorful cabeza and even buche (for the brave and strong of stomach only), there's a lot to choose from at this Mexican joint that's hard to find elsewhere. However, one taco style reigns supreme at El Tlacoyo.
The longaniza and nopales taco, or Mexican sausage and cactus for y'all gringos, is the best of the savory world. With the spicier-than-chorizo sausage and briney cactus, topped with fresh onion and bright cilantro, the experience is intensity wrapped up in a corn tortilla. Best of all, the under $2 price means you can order as many as you could possibly want without making a dent in your budget.
Miss a dish?
100. Pork Belly Pastrami from Citizen Public House
99. French Onion Soup from Bonjour Vietnam
98. Whiskey Cream Gelato from Marrazo That's Amore
97. Breakfast Croissant from Cartel Coffee Lab
96. Salmon "Yasu Style" at Yasu Sushi Bistro
95. Cannoli from DeFalco's Italian Deli
94. Falafel Sandwich from Al-Hana Restaurant
93. PBLT at Bootleggers
92. Samosa from Little India
91. Combo Plate from El Pollo Supremo
90. Brunch Burger from Orange Table
89. Duck Fat Fries from Bourbon Steak
88. Kurobuta Pork Chop from Noca
87. Carne Adovada Enchiladas from Los Dos Molinos
86. Maple Bacon Doughnut from Rainbow Donuts
85. Pad Khing from Nunthaporn's Thai Cuisine
84. Mariscos con Arroz from Tumi Fine Peruvian Cuisine
83. Chicago Dog from Portillo's Hot Dogs
82. Lemon Bars from Phoenix Public Market Cafe
81. Preserved Pickle and Pork Noodle Soup from Asian Cafe Express
80. Maine Lobster Roll from The Maine Lobster Lady
79. Lengua Tacos from Asadero Norte de Sonora
78. Black Licorice from Super Chunk Sweets and Treats
77. Cracker Jack from House of Tricks
76. Chicken Achari Curry from Curry Corner
75. Lavender Berry Lemonade Popsicle from AZ Pops
74. Truffle Bikini from The Tavern
73. Lemon and Basil Chicken Salad Sandwich from Essence Bakery Cafe
72. Oaxaca Special Burro from Carolina's
71. Texas Po' Boy from Texas BBQ House
70. Thai Noodle Soup from RedThai
69. Breakfast Sandwich from Lux Central
68. Deep Fried Duck with Taro from Hong Kong Asian Diner
67. Chicken Pot Pie from The Duce
66. Alfajores from El Chullo
65. Chashu Ramen from Sushi Ken
64. Yukon Gold from The Parlor Pizzeria
63. Crispy Pig Ears from Bar Crudo
62. French Fries from Cafe Bink, Bink's Midtown, and Bink's Scottsdale
61. Croissant Bread Pudding from Ollie Vaughn's
60. Kale Caesar Salad from Original ChopShop Co.
59. Chilaquiles from La Tolteca
58. Farmstead Goat Milk Caramel from The Simple Farm
57. Pistachio Chicken Liver Pate from The Gladly
56. Paitan Ramen from Umami
Follow Chow Bella on Facebook and Twitter and Pinterest.
2535 E. University Drive, Tempe, AZ