10 Flavors of Gelato from Local Chefs to Debut at The Gelato Spot in Scottsdale on Friday, August 1
This Friday, August 1, locally-owned dessert chain The Gelato Spot will launch its second annual Gelato Wars contest. As with last year's event, the contest will pit a lineup of local chefs against each other in a battle to earn a custom-molded gelato cone trophy, $500 cash, and a $5,000 check presented on their behalf to Make-A-Wish Arizona.
Gelato Spot The 2nd annual Gelato Wars kicks off this Friday.
For this year's contest, 10 local chefs have created limited-edition flavors of gelato that will be available at three Gelato Spot locations during the month of August. Diners will get to decide who wins the contest by voting with their wallets: The chef who sells the most gelato wins.
See also: 7 Best Gelato Shops in Metro Phoenix
Last year, dessert maven Tracy Dempsey took home the prize with her shoyu caramel chocolate and macaroon streusel gelato. This year, she'll face some new contestants, including Josh Bracher of the Second Story Liquor Bar and Scott Holmes of Little Miss BBQ.
Here's the complete list of participating chefs and their gelato creations:
- Keenan Bosworth, Pig & Pickle - Goat Cheese Gelato with Carrot Cake
- Gio Osso, Virtu - Honey Toasted Almond Biscotti
- Michael O'Dowd, Urban Vine - MOD Mole
- Matt Carter, The Mission/Zinc Bistro/The House - Sweet Corn with Truffle Honey and Wild Blueberry sauce
- Josh Hebert, Posh - White Chocolate Stracciatella with Amarena Cherry Sauce
- Tracy Dempsey, Tracy Dempsey Originals - Camelback Crunch: White Chocolate, Roasted Pistachios, Honey Comb, Dried Apricot, Chocolate, and Ganache Swirl
- Josh Bracher, The Second Story Liquor Bar - Sage Brown Butter & Candied Cashew
- Justin Beckett & Jeff Schoening, Beckett's Table - Buttermilk Pie with Wildberry Sauce
- Scott Holmes, Little Miss BBQ - Smoked Banana Pudding with Vanilla Wafers
- Walter Sterling, Ocotillo - Vegan Coconut Chocolate Sorbet with Smoked Almonds and Caramel
To kick off the contest, The Gelato Spot will offer a coupon for a free wood-fired pizza to customers who buy two scoops of gelato on Friday between 5 and 8 p.m. The coupon can be used anytime between August 2 and August 31 at the Old Town Scottsdale Gelato Spot location.