Crudo Chef Cullen Campbell Invited to Cook at the James Beard House
With the Oscars right around the corner, it seems fitting that chef Cullen Campbell of Crudo, his home of expertly crafted modern Italian fare in Phoenix, would be called upon by a foundation whose awards are known as the Oscars of the food world.
Campbell has been invited to New York City on April 22 to cook at the prestigious James Beard House, the nonprofit center for the culinary arts established to continue the work of pioneering American chef, James Beard. The foundation, in addition to holding the dinners, also gives the annual James Beard Foundation awards.
How big a deal is it? Big. In fact, it's so much of an honor to be invited that chefs not only pay for their own ingredients (including wine), they also make a donation to the Beard Foundation.
So what's Campbell planning to cook up at Beard's re-purposed brownstone in the West Village? Here's the menu:
Campbell's multi-course menu will highlight his inventive modern Italian cuisine and will include locally sourced ingredients from Arizona.
"This has been one of my dreams since I first started cooking," says Campbell. "We are showcasing signature items that I have worked on since the first days of creating the Crudo concept."
Hors d' Oeuvres
- Burrata with Hudson Valley Foie Gras and Truffles
- Ahi Crudo with Pickled Spring Garlic
- Beef Hearts with Nduja Vinaigrette
- Crispy Pigs' Tails with Heirloom Controne Beans
- Pickled Niman Ranch Pigs' Feet on Deviled Eggs
Wine: Scarpetta Brut Rosé NV
- 1st course: Schnepf Farms Peaches with Beets and Arugula
Wine: La Lastra Vernaccia di San Gimignano 2011
- 2nd course: Butterfish Crudo with Tomatoes, Lemon, and Lardo
Wine: Capestrano Verdicchio di Matelica 2011
- 3rd course: Santa Barbara Abalone with Salsa Verde and I'itoi Onions
Wine: Terredora Fiano di Avellino 2011
- 4th course: Squid Ink Risotto with Tuna Conserva and Pickled Chilies
Wine: Cataldi Madonna Montepulciano d'Abruzzo 2009
- 5th course: Short Ribs with Smoked Onions, Bone Marrow, Horseradish, and Polenta
Wine: Ca'Viola Brichet Barbera d'Alba 2009
- 6th course: Crespelle with Red Wine Strawberries and Ricotta
Wine: Le Salette Valpolicella Classico 2011
Wanna go or know someone who should? Tickets are $170 per person and can purchased at the James Beard Foundation website or by calling 212-627-2308.