Chrysa Robertson Sells Heritage Turkeys For Thanksgiving and Talks Turkey at November 18 Cooking Class
If your Thanksgiving turkey was a turkey last year, stop blaming your cooking skills and consider the source: you're probably buying a commercial bird, bred for rapid growth and big breasts (insert juvenile, mammary-related joke here), not taste or texture.
So if you're ready to up your Turkey Day game, consider buying a better bird. Chrysa Robertson, chef-owner of Rancho Pinot, is selling Heritage Turkeys again this year, and you, my friend, can buy one if you're willing to pay more for an infinitely better product.
Robertson is selling free-range, antibiotic- and growth hormone-free turkeys for $7 per pound, including shipping -- a terrific deal for a heritage turkey. Here are a few things you need to know:
- $7 per pound + tax, no shipping charges
- Turkey order deadline: October 31
- No cancellations or refunds. None. Zero. Zilch. Don't even ask.
- Cash or check, no credit cards accepted
- Turkeys are sold in 2-pound increments, but an exact weight cannot be guaranteed, weight will match your request as closely as possible
- Pound increments are 8-10, 10-12, 12-14 etc. up to 22 pounds.
- Turkeys available for pick-up at Rancho Pinot the week before Thanksgiving, exact date to be announced later
- Pick-ups must be made during the day, not during regular restaurant dinner hours
- ORDER BY EMAIL ONLY (email@example.com), NO PHONE-IN ORDERS
- In email provide: NAME, PHONE, TURKEY SIZE, NUMBER OF TURKEYS
- Rancho will send email confirmation of your order
Robertson is also teaching a cooking class on braising pre-cut turkey on Sunday, November 18 at noon. She says the recipe, which comes from Chez Panisse, is fabulous. She'll also be teaching how to cut a turkey (those who ordered turkey from her can cut up their own or have the restaurant do it ahead of time). Although she hasn't set a price yet (probably somewhere in the $20-$25 dollar range), the class is filling up fast. For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org asap.