Rebecca Nab Young's Volga German Cucumber Salad
|Rebecca Nab Young prepared thus cucumber salad in one of her grandmother's bowls|
"Actually, this would be our main course, my mother would make this bowl that was so huge and this is what we ate with some homemade rye bread. She made a real light rye break and we would just have that. And sometimes if she was in a really good mood we would have the German garlic sausage, and they made that themselves too. And you can still buy it today, in that region, but nowhere else....My husband has been to every German European store in this Valley and they don't make it."
For the record, you can find recipes for the bread and sausage in Nab Young's book, available for purchase online from Amazon and Barnes&Noble.
Get the recipe after the jump
Serving Size: 6-8 ounces
Total Servings: 8
6 medium cucumbers
6 hard-boiled eggs
1 medium onion
1 pint buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1. Wash the cucumbers, peel them, and thinly slice them crosswise into a large salad bowl.
2. Coarse chop the hard-boiled eggs and add them to the cucumbers.
3. Coarse chop the onion and add it to the eggs and cucumbers.
4. Add the salt and pepper
5. Pour the buttermilk over the salad and stir
6. Refrigerate for 30 minutes
7. Serve in salad bowls as a side dish