Justin Beckett's Oven-Roasted Beets
|Chef Justin Beckett/Beckett's Table|
Raised a macrobiotic vegetarian, Beckett admits he now goes whole hog for bacon. But that doesn't mean he's neglected nature's most bountiful vitamin source. Today, the hardworking chef shares his recipe for summery beets with universal appeal.
Beckett's Table Wood Oven-Roasted Beets
What you'll need:
2 large red beets
2 large golden beets
2 large striped beets
1/2 cup toasted pecans
1/4 crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup pre-made lemon dressing
2 T chopped parsley
1 T chopped thyme
1 pinch white pepper
1. Simmer beets for about 35 to 45 minutes (make sure to boil the red beets in a different pot as they will color the other two beets).
2. Remove beets from water when slightly soft to the touch.
3. Using a paper towel, peel the skin from the beets.
4. Let the beets cool and chop into 3/4 inch cubes.
5. Place beets into a cast iron cooking vessel and top with 1/2 the dressing, feta cheese and white pepper. Chef's tip: It's best to cook the dish in a wood-burning oven or on top of the grill to add smoky flavor.
6. In a conventional oven: Preheat to 450 degrees and cook the beets until feta is golden brown.
7. Remove from heat and garnish with toasted pecans, herbs and remaining dressing.
Serve hot and enjoy!