Jared Porter's Polipo Salad
|Courtesy of Jared Porter|
Charred Polipo Salad with Peppers, Onions and Chickpea Cake
Yield: 6-8 portions
For the octopus:
Octopus (10#) or shrimp (16/20 peeled and deveined)*
Red wine 1 cup
Red wine vinegar 1/3 cup
Pickling spice 1/4 cup
Mirepoix (carrots, celery, onion, rough chopped) 2c total
Garlic (smashed) 3 cloves
Water 1 gallon
1. Bring all components to a boil, except octopus.
2. Once boiling, add octopus and simmer for 2 hours, covered.
* If using shrimp, bypass poaching procedure.
Get the recipe for the chickpea cake served with the octopus after the jump.
For the cake:
Chickpea flour (1#)*
Vegetable stock 2 cups
Half & half 2 cups
Salt 1 heavy pinch
1. Bring stock, half & half and salt to a boil. Gradually stir in flour, stirring
constantly. Allow flour to cook until thick, but not lumpy.
2. Pour into sprayed baking trays and refrigerate.
3. Once cool, cut out your shape of choice. We use rounds.
* If chickpea (garbanzo) flour can't be found, polenta can be used, just follow
the recipe on the package for firm polenta
For the peppers & onions
Bell peppers (red, yellow & green) 2 each
Red onion 1 each
Capers (rough chopped) 1/4 cup
Mixed olives (rough chopped) 1/4 cup
Your favorite greens 1/2 cup
1. Remove seeds from peppers and char on grill then let cool.
2. Remove ends of onion, peel and cut into 1/4-inch cross-sections and char on grill then let cool.
3. Once peppers and onions are cool, chop into bite size pieces; mix with capers,
olives, and greens.
For the assembly:
1. Season and grill octopus (or shrimp) and allow for a good bit of char. Brush
chickpea cake with olive oil and toast on grill.
2. Once all components are warm, mix octopus (or shrimp) with pepper/onion mix
and dress with a good quality extra virgin olive oil and plate alongside cake.