Emilio Morales' Kung Pao Scallops
Kung Pao Scallops
Yield: 2 portions
For the sauce:
Soy sauce 1 cup
White vinegar 1/4 cup
White sugar 1/4 cup
Rice wine 1/4 cup
Prepared chicken stock (hot) 1/4 cup
Chicken base 1 tablespoon
1. Add hot stock to sugar and chicken base and stir to dissolve.
2. Add vinegar,wine and soy sauce.
3. Set aside.
See how to marinate your scallops after the jump.
For the marinade:
Cornstarch 1/2 cup
Salt 1 pinch
Pepper 1 pinch
Canola oil 1 cup
Whole eggs (whipped) 3 each
Scallops 1 pound
1. Whip eggs and canola oil together and slowly incorporate into the other ingredients. The finished product should be the consistency of pancake batter.
2. Coat scallops in marinade and let sit for two hours.
For the garnish:
Chili pods 3 each
Chili flakes 1 pinch
Roasted, unsalted peanuts 2 ounces
White onion (1/4 inch diced) 2 tablespoons
Sesame oil 1 teaspoon
Bringing it all together:
1. Cook eight ounces of marinated product in 438 degree heat for around 1 minute.
2. Set aside and heat a separate pan or wok.
3. Add 1/4 teaspoon of granulated garlic and move quickly to avoid burning.
4. Add three ounces of kung pao sauce and bring to a boil.
5. Add cooked protein back into the sauce and toss to coat.
6. Add dried chili pods, chili flakes and white onions.
7. Finish with a teaspoon of sesame oil.