Andrea Volpi's Pappardella Bolognese
|Courtesy of Local Bistro|
What you'll need:
1/ 4 lb. ground pork, coarse
1/2 lb. ground veal, coarse
1/2 lb. ground beef, coarse
2 large jumbo carrots, peeled and diced
2 large yellow onions, finely diced
2 celery sticks, diced
(More ingredients and how to put it all together after the jump...)
2 large shallots, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
2 cups olive oil
2 cups white wine
5 cups chicken stock
1 cup of tomato paste
Salt - to taste
Black pepper - to taste
What to do:
1. In a heavy brazier, add oil. When warm, add all of the meat and stir while searing. Fat will separate itself from the meat.
2. With a ladle, skim the fat and discard. Add all of the vegetables to the meat and stir. Add a bay leaf.
3. Deglaze the pan with white wine and when wine is completely evaporated, add stock and tomato paste.
4. Lower the heat, simmer and stir for 2 hours. If needed, skim any additional fat off the top before serving.
5. Add to your favorite cut of pasta.