Chef Eric Gitenstein's Grilled Hanger Steak with Rioja Onion Jam
In this week's Chef Chat, we heard from Chef Eric Gitenstein of Lola Tapas and mftasty. Today he shares his recipe for a Lola Favorite: Grilled Hanger Steak with Rioja Onion Jam. Here's how it's done...
For the Marinade:
1/2 cup of lemon juice
1 quart olive oil
8 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp chili flake
1 tbsp paprika
1 bunch of parsley
1. Add all ingredients except olive oil in a food processor.
2. Blend while slowly adding olive oil to emulsify.
3. Cover 4 8oz steaks in marinade for at least four hours before grilling.
4. Grill to desired temperature.
For the Rioja Onion Jam
2 onions, quartered and sliced
4 sticks of cinnamon
1 tsp chili flake
1 tsp black pepper, ground
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups rioja wine
juice from one squeezed lemon
1. In a saute pan, add onions with oil and all spices over medium heat. Allow onions to slowly caramelize.
2. Stir occasionally.
3. Add Rioja Wine (a Spanish red wine) and lemon juice.
4. Once the wine has reduced, the onions should be completely caramelized and the jam is ready!
5. Serve each steak 1/4 of yielded Rioja Onion Jam.
6. Garnish each steak with chopped parsley and a cinnamon stick.
(This was the recipe portion of our interview with Eric Gitenstein of Lola Tapas. Check out part one and part two of the interview.)